Saturday, August 23, 2014

"If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the Union and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont." ~ Calvin Coolidge, 13th President of the United States, 1928

 Earlier this week, right before I headed home from Vermont, Alex gave me a personal tour of the Vermont State House. He is currently an intern, serving as Assistant to the State Curator. As such, he is tasked with any number of projects, but also conducts tours of the State House. In addition to the tour and meeting the State Curator, a wonderful experience, I got to see one of Alex's projects - the recent installation of a display of Vermont furniture makers. 

I must say that dates, information, and enlightenment rolled off of Alex's tongue as we walked the corridors. For fear of getting my facts wrong, I am going to stick with just photos for your enjoyment. 




  


Fossil in the granite taken from Lake Champlain used in the floors.













Rock split in two by canon ball - representing the divide of our nation between the north and the south.













A wonderful experience with a wonderful tour guide!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a stunning setting for this building. So gorgeous. And I love all the details you captured of the granite and wood. Amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a full day! No wonder you didn't put your camera down. I especially love the ornate ceiling detail. Great pictures of Alex in his work environment.

    ReplyDelete