Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"The greatest legacy is that which benefits the widest number of people for the longest period." ~ Cat Stevens

In my previous post, I brought you Ca'd'Zan, the John and Mable Ringling residence. Today I first bring you The State Art Museum of Florida. Today's part II will bring one building from the Circus Museum. 

John Ringling bequeathed the museum's incredible collection, along with the museum building and its beautiful gardens and grounds, to the state of Florida.

"Here, in an extraordinary place is an extraordinary collection of art. From the Rubens’ Galleries to the Turrell Skyspace, view the permanent collection’s treasures, the fascinating exhibitions from around the world and the classical sculptures that fill the grand courtyard. The State Art Museum of Florida, this awe-inspiring palace was originally built by famed circus impresario John Ringling as a legacy to the citizens of Florida. This is a place of beauty and wonder."

Lygia and the Bull is a 20th-century original by Itailian-American sculptor Giuseppe Moretti who based it on characters in Henry Sienkiewicz's 1895 novel Quo Vadis. Originally intended for the city of Philadelphia, the bronze piece was bought by John Ringling in the late 1920s when the city fathers disagreed over the sculpture's propriety and removed it from public display.







I was totally enchanted by "The Blue Madonna" by Carlo Dolci- could not pull my eyes away.










Now for one of the two buildings making up the Circus Museum. 

"The first museum in the country to document the rich history of the American Circus. It features banners, costumes, wagons and the Wisconsin, the private railcar on which Jon and Mable Ringling traveled in style around the country on business and with the circus."
























 My next and final post from the Ringling Museum will highlight The Tibbals Learning Center - it's great!

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I have to admit I'm not so much into circus but this looks amazing! Would love to visit both museums especially the one with the old train...

    Thank you for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I admit that I too, have never been a huge fan of circuses. I love the history behind it though - so interesting!

      Delete
  2. Great photos! I love the train and circus cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing that is... I would really like to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now I must add taking a bath in a claw foot tub on a railway car to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing things you saw! I'm especially enchanted by the courtyard. What a peaceful and pretty place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there when it was not very crowded, but I would think that the courtyard would be peaceful at any time!

      Delete