Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"A vacation spot out of season always has a very special magic." ~ Max von Sydow

We have just returned from 10 glorious days on Cape Cod.  I know that I said it wouldn't matter what the weather was like, but I'm happy to report that with the exception of one gray and misty day (which was still wonderful) we had blue skies and sunshine the entire time!  We rested, relaxed, ate wonderful seafood, knit (well - I knit), read and enjoyed each and every day.

While I took lots and lots of pictures, I decided to try to bring you things that I haven't posted on before.  So - I will have a series of posts with some of my nature shots, mixed with pictures from the towns that we tend to frequent, mixed with a potpourri of other things! If you have not seen any of my previous Cape posts, I will provide links to them at the end of this one.

First - that gray and misty day. We came across half a dozen or so hang-gliders taking advantage of the blustery winds.  We had to take refuge, and pictures, from behind a dune - the wind was whipping sand across the parking lot, and aside from hurting, I was fearful of the damage that it might do to my camera.  It was a spectacular sight!












And now, for the town of Wellfleet, which is about 5 minutes from where we stay. Wellfleet is a lovely, artsy little town, littered with galleries and shops and just perfect for wandering around.  It is also the home of the Oyster Festival, which I posted on a couple of years ago.

These are shots from a far quieter day than the Oyster Fest!

















Just as charming as can be!

Links to previous Cape posts (more than I realized!)













12 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Tracy! Sounds like a wonderful holiday! And your pictures tell this story too! I love how bright they are!

    Although, it must be fantastic to fly over the ocean, the pictures of the hang-gliders made my hands sweat... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful holiday - and yes - flying over the ocean would make my hands sweat too!

      Delete
  2. Never remember seeing wind surfers. But then, it's been a while since we could visit.

    Oh the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    What a delightful town. Even the hanging signs are grrrrreat. :-)

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time that we have seen the hang-gliders too - it was a treat!

      Delete
  3. I have a childhood friend who is an artist & musician and lives in Wellfleet! And if you're visiting old cemeteries on the Cape and you run into Hoxie (or Hoxsie - was spelled both ways) that's my family! There's even a museum "Hoxie House" on the cape which is purported to be the oldest house there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job capturing the hang gliders in flight - felt like I was flying right with them!
    Hard to imagine living today in a town established in 1763. Love the architecture. I hope you didn't break the bank with all those tempting shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually only bought one thing (a sweatshirt!) when we returned a few days later for the Oyster Fest!

      Delete
  5. Great pictures of a great vacation! That hang-gliding was neat to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn - it was a great vacation, with more pictures to come!

      Delete
  6. I wish I could go there. In a way I have with your eyes.
    My husband use to fly high in the sky on a hang- glider!!!!
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you have been an armchair traveller with me Dottie. I have many more pictures to come!

      Delete