Saturday, September 14, 2013

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." ~ Bo Derek

This past week, I had the wonderful good fortune of meeting up with three of my knitting friends from Florida. We gathered together to go to WEBS, America's Yarn Store, located in Northampton, MA!  Two of them came from spots in Massachusetts, one from New Hampshire, and myself from Central New York.  We stayed at the beautiful Amherst Bed and Breakfast in Amherst (what a great town!)

I admit that I could barely contain my excitement when we arrived at the store.  It was absolutely amazing! WEBS offers a tremendous discount on purchases over $60, and again over $120.  We had no trouble meeting those goals.  The staff was just wonderful - helpful, cheerful - just great!  I somehow did not get any pictures of the huge room devoted to looms and spinning wheels - but they have it all.






The warehouse in back of the store front - with further deep discounts.








We finally needed to take a break and compare what we were going to purchase.

My basket is not as full as it could have been!  10 skeins that I needed of the same dye lot were out of stock and back-ordered - they will be shipped to my house.
Make no mistake however, the very best part of the trip was getting together with my dear friends - laughing, eating, sharing book recommendations, drinking wine, and planning for another trip.  It was, as they say, "priceless".

A couple of tips if you should plan a trip to WEBS:

1.  Look over their website thoroughly - you can see all of the yarns available and can even order ahead of time and they will have it waiting for you when you arrive.
2.  Go with projects in mind.  I did this - as did the others.  It is really overwhelming and you could easily leave without purchasing anything, or leave with more than you will know what to do with.
3.  Feel free to ask for their help - the staff is amazing.  We had the help of a young man, whose name tag said "Young Man", because that is what most of the older shoppers called him anyhow!

If you want to know more about how WEBS came about, you can read their story.
Also - order a catalog if you'd like.

What a trip!  Thank you ladies!!

12 comments:

  1. What a blast, glad you were able to meet with friends like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, what A PLACE!!
    i like what i see in your basket : )



    ps: did you get my thank-you-email some days back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vibeke! It was a wonderful time! I'm sorry to say that I did not get your first e1-mail, but we thankfully connected earlier today!

      Delete
  3. I love the quote and seeing all the photos from WEBS! I regularly listen to their podcast and find their stock of yarns astonishing! It sounded like you had a fab time! So fun to hear about the "young man" name tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just happened upon their podcast - I didn't know that it existed, but will listen to it from now on! And yes, the "young man" name tag is one of my favorite things about the trip!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful trip! And like a knitter's paradise!!! Both, the store and the meet-up with knitting friends!

    I can understand your excitement so well... I love those stores, crammed with colourful yarn and fibres! It's really a good advice to go with a project in mind, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Nancy! It was a wonderful trip, for just the reasons you stated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Young Man" name tag is a riot! So glad you could meet up with long-distance friends and have such a great time. Thanks for the tour of WEBS. It's heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed heaven, Tierney! I see a field-trip in our future!

      Delete
  7. What a fun store! It looks like you had a blast - how great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bev, I must say that it was the happiest of times!

      Delete