I recently posted to Face-Book about my sister Robin's new Etsy shop. I have made noise since I retired about opening my own shop, but three and a half years later, it's been nothing but talk. Robin has made hers a reality! I'm so proud of her and of her finely crafted, one of a kind felted goods. Robin's shop has been in the works for a bit, and she utilizes upcycled wool items and felting techniques for her products. I'm going to share a few below, and then invite you to peruse her shop!
When we headed to the Cape last month, I took along all of my recently completed knitting projects that still needed to have the ends woven in - if you are a knitter, you know that this is a tedious job - why I always leave this till the very end is just a sign of my tendency to procrastinate. I had 3-4 baby sweaters, and a shawl or two - enough to keep me busy while we were there. I stuck the materials for a new project in my bag just in case I finished these faster than I anticipated. Honestly - they took so little time that I am yet again frustrated by my tendency to not weave the ends in as I go along.
Anyhow! I did get started on a new project -Zuzu's Petals, with the name coming from my all time favorite holiday movie, It's a Wonderful Life. The yarn that I chose for this project is in the shade of "Ice Queen" and is from the Freia Ombre collection. It is a lovely yarn to work with, but I admit to being a bit ticked when off about half way through my knitting I found that it had been knotted and tied - not what I expect from such a lovely and pricey yarn. Onward. I had not brought a printed copy of the pattern, but chose to rely on the downloaded version on my ipad. Well into it, I was ready to begin the lace portion. I knew that I had the correct number of stitches to proceed, so proceed I did. I scrolled up to what I thought was the next row. No matter how many times (many, and into the wee hours of the morning), I knit and ripped back this next row, I could not get it right. I counted and recounted; said every stitch and step aloud as I began the next row again. Each and every time I did not have the correct number of stitches to correctly complete the following row. Ugh! I checked online for errata - none. I checked to see how many successfully completed projects of Zuzu's Petals were posted to Ravelry - 3,244 - I had to concede that the problem was with the knitter - me. So, I set the project aside, emailed a few friends I hoped would be at knitting the following Monday and I could ask for help, and went to bed.
When Monday rolled around and I took all of my materials to my knitting group, and as the first person arrived, I began to tell her my tale of woe. I showed her the pattern on my ipad and suddenly, suddenly I realized that I had not scrolled all the way back up to the top of the page - I had omitted 3 entire rows of the pattern! Knitter error indeed!
I'm rarely frustrated by my knitting, but this got to me, especially since the pattern, once resumed correctly, was a breeze to complete. One important lesson learned - print out the pattern! Anyhow - it's done and I love it. It even snowed yesterday so that I had a perfect backdrop for pictures!
Zuzu's Petals s actually a cowl, and proved interesting when it came time to block it - extra large vinegar bottle to the rescue! I have completed a different shawl since then (now blocking), but I can look back and laugh at my "knitter error" on a project that should have been a piece of cake!
I had intended to post on this earlier, but here it is now - Cranberry, Walnut and Orange Pound Cake (Bread) using my freshly picked Cape Cod cranberries. While on the Cape, for the second year in a row, we followed the sign saying "Fresh Cranberries" down a little country lane. There we find a cart on the side of the road with 3 lb. bags of fresh cranberries, $6.00 a bag. There is a box with a slot in the top to place your money. I do love that the honor system is still alive and well in some corners of our crazy world. Last year I made enough cranberry sauce to sink a ship. Something different this year, I decided. I scouted out bread recipes with cranberries, but settled on the one that is actually called a pound cake. I made alterations to the original recipe, so if you click on the blue link up above, note that I did a few things differently. First, I did not make the glaze to go on top. Most importantly though, instead of the teaspoon of orange zest as called for, I used 2 tablespoons. I can't imagine that you would really taste the orange with such a small amount. Also - I admit that I used clementine zest since I had a bowl full of clementines! I do not have enough bread pans for the loaves that I wanted to make, so I used aluminum ones from the dollar store. They were quite shallow however, so the loaves look a little odd! I made six total, and put all but one in the freezer for future use - most importantly to bring to our Thanksgiving gathering in a few weeks!
Sweet batter; crunchy walnuts, tart cranberries and fragrant orange (clementine) - this is really, really delicious. I'm sure that another loaf or two will go missing before Thanksgiving. Thank goodness I made 6!